Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm going to Ethiopia in the fall! (Trip 1 of 3) :0)

WOW, all I can say is wow! 
    So, in my first post about our family plans to adopt a little one from Ethiopia, I briefly mentioned wanting to serve her country of birth, get my hands dirty and do something to help! We want her to understand that we love her dearly but that we ALSO love where she will be from. The need for people to love and care for the widow and the orphan in Africa is astounding and I couldn't imagine proceeding with fundraising for this adoption without recognizing and aiding some of the widows and children that can't come stay at my house :)
    So, this September I will have the honor or serving for 10 days in Kechene, Ethiopia. I am seriously in AWE that this is happening. I honestly thought it would be a HUGE long shot to be able to go on this trip but the finances to go have been very generously provided. I should know better than to think ANYTHING is a "long shot" for God.  When I started telling people about needing to fundraise the 28,000 for adoption costs, which includes 2 trips to Ethiopia, one for court and one to bring her home. I almost felt guilty explaining that I also wanted to go to Africa for a third trip to serve widows and children and that would add about $2,800 to the fundraising efforts. However, now it is done and taken care of. I will have the opportunity to serve, and now, the fundraising efforts 100% focus on the adoption :)
  AAHH! (can you tell how exuberant I am?) It is difficult to put into words really.... but I am flooded with gratitude and am humbled that this gift has been given for me to be able to go.

   If you don't know about the organization Awake & Alive yet- YOU SHOULD! Learn more about the awesome work they are doing here: http://www.awakeandalive.org/ There is a link to their blog on the web site- you have to check that out too! Through reading the blog you really get the opportunity to see the heart of two amazing women, Jolene & Danielle, who started Awake & Alive. These are the folks I will be traveling to Ethiopia with in the fall.

Before I go- I wanted to thank everyone who has donated books for us to sell as our first fundraiser (see previous post). We are in the process of sorting through them and seeing what can and can't be listed/sold. We also have another VERY cool fundraiser coming up (hopefully Monday) that a good friend is offering to us through his AWESOME business that you will definitely want to be a part of! (stay tuned.....)  Until then- if you find a suitcase laying around filled with extra money that  somebody didn't have a use for- let us know :) 
Let's bring Noah's sister home!!

Blessings!
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment